A boom in oil and gas, construction, mining and warehousing has made a popular employment choice the area of driving a Mobile Aerial Work Platform. Operator should understand the variety of task they may be asked to do as well as their requirements.
There are many general tasks that operators and material handlers might be asked to perform:
- Operate, navigate and drive mechanized equipment.
- Inspect, mechanized equipment, materials and structures for defects and pre trip inspections
- Install or inspect protective devices (ie extension platforms, extension bridges, carrying frames, compressed air connectors and electrical outlets )
- Comprehend oral instructions and work orders to clarify work assignments
- Write incident reports if there are material spills or safety issues
- Complete field level hazard assessments, job safety analysis and work permits
- Perform tasks in extreme heat, wind or cold weather and on uneven surfaces
- Computer literacy to perform data entry of computer hardware and software, such as machine control, inventory tracking and spreadsheets
- Scan equipment barcodes
- Package tools such as staplers and tape guns as well as strapping tools
- Measurement of tools such as air pressure gauges, temperature gauges, measuring tapes and thermometers
- Knowledge of applicable reporting procedures and how to conduct a pre-operational safety and maintenance inspection in accordance with the manufacturers specifications. This includes a visual load test, inspection of guardrail system (ie toeboards), chassis, base, elevating assembly, platform and brakes.
- Familiarity with directional controls, procedures to safely enter and exit equipment (ie 3 points of contact) and safety devices.
- Use of personal protective equipment (ie steel toed boots, hard hat, safety gloves, personal fall protection)
- Fueling procedures when loading equipment
- In reference to battery powered mobile aerial work platforms, be familiar with battery charging, replacement processes amd emergency procedures, safety protocols for recharging them and personal protective gear to wear.