How are you going to be recognized as a leader in your field, your company, or your organization? The 12 Steps to establishing Leadership Presence can show you how to project and demonstrate the leadership presence needed to gain influence and to positively impact your workplace.
Leadership presence involves being prepared, demonstrating professionalism and having the ability to take command of a room; it involves assuming a leadership role amongst various audiences, sharing your thoughts and opinions with confidence, and striking a balance between talking and listening such that your communication style is both persuasive and impactful.
Whether you are in safety, operations, project management or any other field, establishing a leadership presence is integral to growing your influence with others to be put in positions where you can impact your personal growth, your company, your business and the world around you in general.
This online 12 Steps to Establishing Leadership Presence: Fuel – Navigate – Drive (12 Steps) course is designed to complement the BIS platforms’ Leadership for Safety online course. Whereas Leadership for Safety explores the foundational, contemporary leadership principles required for existing Safety Leaders in the workplace, these 12 Steps are designed to provide learners with the mandatory tools needed to attain leadership positions that exist above their current role.
This course is designed for employees looking to improve their reputation, social influence and ultimately their position in the organizational hierarchy. These 12 Steps are essential for every position in the organization, but especially for safety leaders / potential safety leaders who are looking to be taken seriously in the workplace; in order to use their influence to enhance their workplace safety culture.
After completing this course, learners will understand the importance of:
- Appearance: Dressing for success. Dressing for the position you desire; not for the position you currently have.
- Punctuality: Punctuality is tantamount to respect. Being on time or even early, demonstrates your commitment to the meeting you are attending and shows respect for other attendees.
- Time Management: Strategies for managing time amidst a sea of tasks and distractions.
- Motivation & Focus: Goals need philosophical, emotional and motivational “FUEL” to remain on track. With the myriad of distractions, fun activities and/or setbacks constantly working against our goals, we need to recharge our motivational FUEL cells from time to time to stay on track.
- Preparation: Looking knowledgeable, “on-the-spot” to senior managers that you would like to influence takes preparation. Whether it be for upcoming interviews, meetings, presentations (that you are giving) or any other situation where you might be tested, you must be prepared.
- Relationships and Communication: Communicating well and treating others with respect and dignity at all times is one of the best ways to establish Leadership Presence.
- Likeability: You cannot build the social influence needed to establish Leadership Presence with co-workers, clients and senior managers if you do not treat people with respect or say and do positive, kind, and thoughtful things regularly.
- Being Informed: Staying Current: Being informed on the popular issues of our time e.g., Economy, Safety, Environment, Diversity & Inclusion, LGTBQ2 etc. helps you demonstrate to others that you are up-to-date on the hot button issues facing leadership teams in the workplace.
- Competence: Competence is the MOST IMPORTANT ATTRIBUTE to establishing Leadership Presence. Far too many incompetent poseurs, impostors and pretenders are “all sizzle, no steak”.
- Networking & Collaboration: Ingratiate yourself to others. Link up with people in your field, share information and knowledge with them to establish rapport which can then lead to long term professional relationships based on trust.
- Accountability: Continually following through on your commitments will engender a feeling of trust in you among co-workers, and clients. Garnering a reputation as “someone who can be counted on” will allow you to walk tall and establish a Leadership Presence.
- Public Speaking: Public speaking (done well) at conferences, industry meetings, internal meetings etc. is the FASTEST WAY TO ESTABLISH leadership presence in your company and in your field.
ONLINE COURSE DURATION
Approximately 60 minutes
Testing conducted in this online Leadership for Safety course is designed to reinforce the information presented. A mark of 80% must be achieved in order to receive a certificate of completion. Participants are able to repeat the course twice if the pass mark is not achieved.
CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION
Upon successful completion of this online course, a certificate of completion will be available to download and print.